Friday, June 29, 2007

New tricks

I know I only wrote yesterday but I have something to report. I've discovered that you can teach an old dog new tricks. I'm learning to swim.

I mean, I can SWIM, but only breast stroke. I'm quite good at that: I've taken part in triathlons and regularly swim half a mile in the pool. But it somehow just feels a little bit 'old lady' only being able to swim that one stroke. Front crawl just seems more professional, more athletic, more triathlete...

I nearly didn't go. I was scared of the front crawl breathing thing. I tried by myself a week ago and ended up spluttering, with a mouthful of chlorine, after just a few strokes. "It's not for me", I said. "I'm quite happy doing the old lady swim. At least I put my head under the water!"

But curiosity took over and I paid my $4 (oh yes!) and got my 'lesson' wristband before I could change my mind and pretend I was just there to have a paddle around after a long, hot day. I think I just doubted the ability of the coach. I haven't had any sort of sports training for so many years that I'd forgotten how good coaches are at teaching! It really works!

He (Marty) put us through our exercises: kicking only, one arm up by my head, leg float and just arms, breathing alternate sides. And after several practice lengths I went from not being able to make it across the pool in one go, to swimming eight lengths in a row, no float or anything! It wasn't pretty, but I did it!

One hour, $4 and about a year's worth of self-confidence. Try it.

2 comments:

Swearing Mother said...

Well done! Strike whilst that self-confidence is HOT and discover some of the other things you're good at - and, incidentally, I think blogging is one of them.

Best wishes.

Lady What Lunches said...

Thanks for your encouragement! My life is full of new activities at the moment and I'm loving it! I will keep up the blogging because, between you and me, I think I'm quite good at it too ;-)